Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Power of a Pretty Dress

Billy Crystal, way back on his Saturday Night Live days, used to play a character called Fernando. His catch line was "When you look good, you feel good." It was a recurring character and was a consistently funny sketch. Yet, without being shallow, there is some truth to that.

Looking good isn't everything ... but it can make a difference. A few weeks ago, a friend and I did a little shopping. I purchased a few sun dresses. Weeks later, I decided to actually take the tags off one of the dresses and actually wear it. I could not believe the result.

I had tried it on at the store and liked it, but when I put it on at home with the right shoes and did my hair and make-up, I loved it. I loved the way I looked and I felt really good. I felt confident and optimistic. I'd had a bad day the day before and this dress gave me the pick me up I needed.

I had lunch with my shopping buddy and she commented not just on the dress but on the fact that my whole aura had changed. She could see not just a pretty dress but the confidence that the dress brought out in me.

It wasn't about the designer label. It wasn't a designer dress. It cost me $15. It wasn't about being provacative or sexy because it wasn't revealing at all. It was about enhancing and drawing out the beauty not just on the outside but the beauty on the inside as well.

Never underestimate the power of a pretty dress.

No comments: