Monday, July 2, 2012

Not This Month!

Several friends of mine and I are undertaking a major challenge for the month of July. For 31 days, we have sworn off spending. For this month, we can pay bills, purchase groceries, and fill up our gas tanks. That's it. There will be no eating out, no restaurants, no shopping, no stopping by the store for make-up or knick-knacks.

Since I do movie reviews on my other blog, I did purchase an AMC gift card on Friday (the second last day of June) to use for this month. After all,
Spiderman opens today and The Dark Knight Rises on July 20th. Other than that, I'm looking forward to this experiment. How much extra will I have at the end of the month? Hopefully, it will help me break the eating out habit I have (when it's just you, it's often easier to grab something than it is to prepare something). 

Not spending means more planning, I see that already. Planning meals and snacks. Planning for free time since I'm going to have to find things to do for free. It means really thinking things through since so much of my spending is on spur-of-the-moment kind of deals.


Not spending also means more questioning. Do I really need that? Do I already have something at home I can use? Is there a free alternative?


So wish me luck, I am actually excited about how this experiment will go. I'll keep you posted on my progress. 


Since its only the 2nd day of the month, anyone else interested in joining me?

No comments: